RCMP investigate two bomb threats at Halifax airport

Written by admin on 27/07/2019 Categories: 苏州美甲纹绣培训

HALIFAX – RCMP in Nova Scotia are investigating two bomb threats at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport Sunday morning.

First, a Turkish Airline flight was diverted to the airport late last night, making it the second airplane diverted to Halifax in less than a week due to a bomb threat. No explosives were found on board the plane.

Carrying 256 passengers and crew members, the Turkish Airlines Flight 2 plane took off at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City Saturday evening and headed to Ataturk Airport in Istanbul.

According to an RCMP spokesperson, Turkish Airlines was alerted to the threat and then alerted Halifax Stanfield International Airport. The airport subsequently alerted the RCMP at approximately 11:50 p.m. AT (the RCMP previously incorrectly stated that being one hour prior).

People are exiting the plane. #Halifax #NovaScotia #TK2 pic.twitter苏州美甲纹绣培训/AWUhfUpAYH

— Steve Silva (@SteveCSilva) November 22, 2015


The airplane turned around midair, landing at the airport at 12:53 a.m., according to airport spokesperson Peter Spurway.

About an hour later, all passengers and crew members were off the Airbus A330. They were transported inside the airport using Halifax Transit busses.

Nova Scotia RCMP didn’t release many details on the threat to news outlets at the airport.

“The investigation is in its early stages, but we will be looking into the origins of the threat,” said Cst. Tanny Lobb, a media relations officer.

RCMP used several teams, including sniffer dogs, to search the plane and luggage. At 4:25 a.m., the plane was cleared, then moved to a gate less than hour later.

And the plane has left for its gate. #TK2 #Halifax #NovaScotia pic.twitter苏州美甲纹绣培训/OLij3vsubS

— Steve Silva (@SteveCSilva) November 22, 2015

The plane took off for Istanbul shortly before 7 a.m.

Spurway said five passengers chose not to continue on the flight, though they weren’t able to get their luggage off the plane.

Of the five, most didn’t want to speak to reporters but did confirm they got off the plane due to safety concerns.

The main runway was closed for several hours, but the airport otherwise operated normally.

WestJet plane delayed by bomb threat

Later in the morning, RCMP responded to another bomb threat at the airport.

Police were called at 6:41 a.m. for WestJet Flight 229 from Halifax to Calgary, which was at the terminal with 75 people on board.

Following a search of the plane at 9:15 a.m., no explosives were found.

RT @HfxStanfield: @WestJet Flight 229 Hfx-Calgary cleared by @RCMPNS. Re-boarding and departure to follow shortly.

— RCMP, Nova Scotia (@RCMPNS) November 22, 2015

The plane was supposed to leave at 7:30 a.m.; it has since been delayed to 10:30 a.m.

The RCMP are investigating both threats.

On Wednesday, an Air France plane was diverted to Halifax after an anonymous threat. After similar threats, a fourth plane made an emergency landing in Salt Lake City the same day.

Comments Off on RCMP investigate two bomb threats at Halifax airport