WATCH ABOVE: After a fire caused millions of dollars in damage at a Mill Woods school, students were back in the halls today. Lisa Wolansky reports.
EDMONTON – Despite a fire last month that caused millions of dollars in damage, a Mill Woods school was able to open its doors to students Tuesday.
Last month, many were wondering if École Frère Antoine would even open after a fire in the portable classrooms on Aug. 11.
Seven portables destroyed in south Edmonton school fire
Six portables and another portable washroom unit sustained an estimated $5 million in damages and had to be demolished.
READ MORE: Seven portables destroyed in south Edmonton school fire
Two temporary modulars were moved in and classrooms were reconfigured to accommodate students. Grades 1 and 2 have been moved from the portables into the main part of the school.
Principal Dean Colburn said it was a team effort that allowed the school to open on time.
“This could have been a very different situation,” he said.
“We could all be, at this point in time, looking for a different school. Just the fact that the fire department did the outstanding work that they did, and then the school board, and the restoration company came along afterwards and were able to put everything back together for us in such a timely manner, it’s just… it’s been remarkable.”
The district is planning to have seven new portables built on-site. It hopes those will be completed by the end of January.
More than 500 students are enrolled at École Frère Antoine school this fall.